Friday, November 9, 2007

Thanksgiving Turkey on the barbecue


This will be the first of I'm sure many posts about the perfect recipe for Turkey on the bbq. It's less then 3 weeks and I'll have over 20 people over for Thanksgiving day. In prior years, we've always gone the traditional route of preparing the bird and putting it in the oven. This year, I've convinced my wife that either smoking the turkey or cooking it on the grill will be the way to go.

I have to admit, it's a bit more pressure then I'd like and of course cooking the bird in the oven would be easier, but man smoked bird sure is good.

This weekend I will be cooking a 12lbs (previously frozen) turkey on indirect coals. I'm not near my kitchen now, but when I get home in a bit, I'll post my recipe.

2 more weekends, I'm sensing lots of variations of frozen turkey soup soon :)

- Joe

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Brine the Bird.

You will NOT be disappointed in the results.

If you've never brined a bird before, here are two tips...

1. Google: Shake's Honey Brine
2. Get familiar with brining basics by going to FoodTV.com and search for Alton Brown's brining method.

Have fun with the project!

Carpe 'Que,
Jim Rhino
Crew Chief, Bandit BBQ Competition Crew & Catering ~ www.BanditBBQ.com
Founder, Illinois BBQ Society ~ www.ILBBQS.com

Bid Wiz Player BBQ Team said...

That's a good looking bird,, I just starting to learn how to smoke turkeys and other meat I purchased a great book that tell the secrets of Smoking by the pitmasters http://b709a4w9a91p0y7ymal9p9arel.hop.clickbank.net/

/* Google analytics */